"Miss, I need a pencil!"

Sound familiar?!?!

This is the ONLY system I've used that WORKS...ALL YEAR!!!!

What was the #1 time waster my first year of teaching? "Miss I need a pencil!!" I thought I'd share some time saving and headache saving advice! Its easy for teachers to go through close to 100 pencils a week.

Failed systems:
Pencil in exchange for a shoe- smelly
Get one from a friend- loud and time consuming
Points off an assignment- then what's their grade based on, responsibility?
The worst of all is "figure it out"... Middle schoolers? They can't figure out how to put deodorant on let alone how to pull a pencil out of thin air.

For this I buy 5 mechanical pencils or pens (not regular....they sharpen down to nothing in 1 day). Hot glue them to popsicle sticks. Hot glue ribbon every 2 inches to a stick or ruler or the wall. They have to sign out the pencil on their way in the door BEFORE the bell rings. This makes for a classroom full of seated children, pencil in hand, ready to learn!....when the bell rings! The dream right!? (I just had to threaten for the first week of school that if they walk away with one I'll come to their next class and embarrass them and it worked like a charm!)

Side effects may include work being turned in, names on papers, saved money, and a happy teacher!